Preparing for a Summer Fishing Trip
You will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to complete your mandatory waiver. Have everyone in your party complete this waiver BEFORE you show up for your trip. (This will save you time while checking in and maximize your time on the river.)
Click here to complete your waiver.
Fishing Licenses are required by Colorado state law for all guests over the age of 16.
***PLEASE NOTE - We do not sell fishing licenses at either of our locations and will not allow you to begin your trip without one. If you do not purchase a license prior to arriving at the shop, you will need to purchase it from CPW’s website on your mobile device just like you would at home. As a result, you’ll spend more time in the shop and less time fishing.
Click here to purchase your fishing license.
(Please make sure that your license is valid for the day of your trip.)
3. Review Your Itinerary
Please make sure that the information on your reservation is correct. For questions regarding our cancellation policy and booking alterations, please visit our FAQ page.
***PLEASE NOTE - All trips depart from our Woody Creek Shop unless alternate arrangements have been made at the time of booking.
Primary Departure Point
Woody Creek Shop (WC)
2858 Upper River Rd.,
Woody Creek, CO 81656
(Right next to the Woody Creek Tavern)
Aspen Departure (Special Arrangements must be made)
St. Regis Aspen Shop (SRA)
315 E Dean St.
Aspen, CO 81611
1. Check In: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your reservation time with all of your paperwork completed. Our shop staff will check you in and introduce you to your guide(s).
2. Try on your gear: Your guide(s) will fit you to a pair of Gore Tex waders and felt soled boots before you head out to the water. If you have your own waders and boots you are very welcome to bring them.
*If you’re departing from our Woody Creek Shop, we have an espresso bar, breakfast burritos, fresh donuts, cold drinks and a variety of snacks to help you fuel up before hitting the water. Also, we are located next to a world-famous tavern if you want to celebrate your day on the river!
3. Depart from the Shop: After you get suited up, you’ll head out to the Roaring Fork! We’re lucky to have some of Colorado’s best fly fishing in our backyard. All of the spots that we fish are within 20 minutes of our shops, with many being as close as 5 or 10 minutes.
4. Learn the Basics: We take great pride in our intimate knowledge of the river, angling techniques and local entomology. Whether you’re a first-timer or an experienced angler, our guides will cater their instruction to your skill level and ensure that you’re equipped with the tools you need to succeed.
5. Go Fishing: We believe that the best way to learn is by doing. Once you’ve learned the basics, our guides will continue to offer personalized instruction, help build your skills and will be on hand to net your fish!
6. Return to the shop: Our standard Half Day Guided Trip is 4 hours door to door. Your guide will bring you back to the shop and our shop staff will close out your reservation. As with many services in the hospitality industry, a gratuity for your guide is customary and always appreciated. The amount is at your discretion (we generally see a gratuity of 20% or more if the trip was extra special!)
Aspen is home to some of the best Fly Fishing in North America! You can find a list of the equipment that we provide on our FAQ page After over 50 years of guiding, we’ve found that having the following items will make your outing even more enjoyable.
The following items can be purchased in our online store prior to your trip. (We ship anywhere, or select “Pick up in store” at check out, and we’ll have your order ready for you on the day of your outing.)
Items we highly recommended:
- Polarized Sunglasses
Polarized sunglasses are a must when fly fishing! Aside from protecting your eyes from the sun, polarized lenses cut the glare on the water and allow you to look beneath the surface of the river. They help you see fish, identify obstacles while wading and protect your eyes from any hooks that might be flying around.
- Smith Guide's Choice
- Hat for sun protection
The colorado sun is intense! It’s very easy to get burnt up here, so a baseball cap or sun hat are a must for sun protection and cutting glare.
Protect your skin – You can burn in a matter of minutes when you’re up here in the mountains! We always recommend using high spf (40+?) sunscreen when getting out on the water.
- Sun Hoody or Sun Shirt
Sunscreen is always a must, but wearing a breathable UPF rated layer makes protecting yourself from the sun and staying cool even easier.
- Sun Gaiter
UPF protected Sun gaiters are our favorite way to protect your face and neck from the sun while staying cool and camouflaged from the fish!
- Rain Jacket
All of our trips are rain or shine, so you should always come prepared for rain. As we like to say, the fish don’t mind the rain — they’re already wet! A good rain jacket will keep you out on the water if a summer storm rolls through.
- Wool Socks
Our rivers stay cold even when it’s hot outside, so we recommend wearing a pair of breathable, merino wool socks to wick moisture inside your waders and keep your feet warm while wading.